Thursday, August 9, 2007

Wire Bling Embellishments




I just wanted to share a couple of photos with you concerning the nearly limitless number of wire pieces that can be made for cropping projects. These pieces add such great bits of bling and they are so easy to construct! You just need an inexpensive wire jig and your off and running. I think mine cost $9.99 US dollars before I used a 50% off coupon. LOL! I don't recommend investing in a plastic jig because they just don't seem to hold up well.

The wire is easy to find too. I usually use 20 and 22 gauge wire. In the the photo, I used navy blue wire so it would show up well for photographic purposes. Most of the time I use wire that looks like brass, silver and copper because it adds so much sparkle to a project. I have four different size pegs that came with my jig and I use all of them. The Celtic knots were made with the smallest pegs, the round paper clip and large S shapes were made with the largest pegs and the rest of the items were made with the two middle size pegs. Keep in mind that some of the shapes I use for cropping are the same shapes I use when I construct jewelry. Stay tuned to see some more of the jewelry in the near future.
If this inspires you, please let me know what you come up with!

4 comments:

rebecca said...

Maybe it's just late and I missed it, but what is the name of this wonder tool? Looks like a lot of fun! Again, thanks to Allison for sending me your way. How did she know I liked both cards and wire playthings????

Paula said...

Rebecca,
This is a wire bending jig sometimes found with names like Thing a ma jig or wig jig. I have also found a really cool jig designed for jewelers but I do not know if it has a catchy name. I have not had time to do any research about it yet. Check out Fire Mountain for this one. I did say to stay away from plastic jigs. I meant the really cheap ones at the craft stores. I did forget to mention that the acrylic jigs from Wig Jig are high quality. Check the link on my blog under jewelry sites for more info or check out your major craft stores.

Tandra said...

Hi Paula! What a great idea! I think I have a jig, from years ago when I just 'knew' I was gonna be making jelery!! lol I should go dig it out! How cute these would be with ribbon tied thru then ends and place on the front of a card, or on th eend of a ribbon tied to a cute bookmark! Oh so many ideas!

Paula said...

Yes the ideas are nearly endless aren't they?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin