Monday, January 7, 2008

Beaded Hair Thingie



I found the pattern for this on the Fire Mountain Gems site back in 2004. It is called The Beaded Hair Thingie that Jody Foster wore in Contact. With a name like that, I thought it was worth a try. I have made several using wire and some using thread. In my opinion, the thread does not hold up as well as using nylon coated stainless steel wire. The added bonus is that you don't need to use needles.
I used a wooden chopstick which has been cut down and sanded down as the hair stick. Painting the stick would be a nice touch also. Apply several coats of acrylic paint and then finish with a clear coat.
I would recommend making this in a single color the first time around. If that goes well then try adding a pattern or use multi colored beads if you like. Go ahead and give it a try! You may find the pattern here. Happy beading!

2 comments:

Barbara said...

I use hairsticks sometimes, but they just don't stay in well without something else.

*laughs*
Isn't there a name for these hair controllers besides "thingie"?

Paula said...

Barbara,
This one stays in quite well. It might be because the stick has a natural finish and is not slick. My daughter also has a lot of hair so this fits quite snug when it is twisted up. Thanks for the comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin