Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Tea for Two

I know that some of you would rather see my cards than my house but I have another story to tell. Recently, I have begun to invite friends around every week or two for a meal and good conversation while I take a short break from working on the house. Today I had a good friend of mine over for tea. Her name is Linda and she has been invaluable to me through all of my illness and surgeries.
Linda and I have not gotten to spend much time together this past year because our schedules have not allowed it even though we live about 25 minutes from one another. We have a great deal in common and enjoy each others company. We both enjoy visiting historical homes, eating wonderful meals and having an afternoon cup of tea. You see, years ago when I was in England, I scoured the countryside for tea rooms with my husband's British sister-n-law and this is where I learned about the art of tea.


Before we sat down to eat, Linda said she wished she had brought her camera because people just wouldn't believe that she was eating at such an elegant home and wanted a photo of the event. I told her to wait just a minute as I brought my camera out and snapped a few photos. While we chatted today, she mentioned her internet friend Pauline who lives in Broadstairs, England. She had told me about Pauline before because some day we might actually meet Pauline in person as she toys with the idea of visiting Linda stateside. However, Pauline thinks she will have to bring her own tea when she comes because the British tend to like their tea loose and not bagged. Pauline, I just want you to know that even some Americans know how to prepare tea properly. My favorite British tea is Fortnum and Mason's Royal blend and if you look closely, you will see a tea strainer on the tea tray. Come on Pauline, we are ready for you and you don't need to bring your own tea!

Posted by Picasa
This photo of our parlor shows a print of Warwick Castle on the fireplace mantle. The founder of our city came from a British family and many of the street names reflect that fact as you meander the early streets with names such as Gloucester, Exeter and Chichester. A photo of our home was used in a brochure (1890) to entice the folks across the pond to come over and settle in the this city. Pauline come across the pond and get back to your roots! Hope to see you soon for a spot of tea and I can even roll out a scone or two.

9 comments:

Jennifer Scull said...

how wonderful! and so cool that you have a picture of Warwick Castle! that was one of my fave places to visit when I went to school at Oxford. I saw a really neat festival held there one weekend and the entire place was filled with music, dancers, revelers, etc. It was phenomenal! I used to belong to a Victorian Ladies Tea Society in our area, so I know just how special the art of tea can be!! So glad the two of you could get together. And your home is lovely!!!!

Carmen said...

Your home is beautiful. Thanks for sharing this, I like to see other people's homes. Yes, I am nosey :)

specialcraftmom4 said...

Okay now I want to come for tea too! You should be soooo proud of your wonderful home! Thank you so much for sharing your lovely story (:

Dru said...

You have a beautiful home Paula and isn't it nice to take a breather and spend time with good friends. Love your chocolate card - really pretty the way you put it altogether. thanks for sharing

Gina said...

What fun! It is so cool that you do this, what a great way to get caught up with friends. Your home is beautiful.

Scrubbysue said...

How fun! and what a beautiful room!

Karen from PA said...

Your home is so beautiful! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Donte said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Rose said...

Thank you for putting pictures of your home on the blog. It is so beautiful and I have wondered what it looked like...so beautiful. You have done such a wonderful job.....

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin