Thursday, June 11, 2009

Chair Caning

Yep, that's right! That is me caning an antique chair. Like I don't have enough things to keep me busy! It's like this, our local chair caning guy moved away and I didn't get this to him before he left, so now I am stuck with doing it myself. This is not difficult to do but it is time consuming and I don't have a lot of extra time since the weather is nice and I need to be outside more. I purchased a couple of books on how to cane along with a video. I recomend a video if you have never done this before. Having weaving experience would be a big plus also. Since I have been weaving for a while I figured it couldn't be too difficult. Did you know that caning is just about a lost art? It is difficult to find people who know how to do this!
If you are wondering about the look on my face, let me tell you about how it came to be. I asked my daughter to take a few photos and she thought she would be cute a snap a bunch of pics before I was ready. There are loads of pics of me bending over and turned away before she finally took this one.
The caning was easy until it came to the end of this step. The seat tightens up as you add more cane and this one is definitely getting tight. I also may regret using medium cane on this project. One source said to use fine cane and another said to use medium. I wanted a sturdy seat so I went with the latter and don't know if there will be room for the rest of the weaving. This is the last step that I have completed so far. The chair is sitting and waiting on me to finish it. I will show you the completed project when I get back to finishing it. Until then you can sit back and grin while I wrestle with the last few steps!


Photobucket
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Nancy Jacobs Basketmaster said...

Hang in there Paula, you can do it! Looking forward to the finished results.
Blessings,
Nancy

Gina said...

Wow, you can do it all! I recognize that look, my mother has given it to me a time or two!!

Scrubbysue said...

LOL! I think you look cute! heeheehee. Good for you!! boy! you've got more motivation than me! LOL

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin