Monday, September 21, 2009

MIA

I have been Missing In Action around my blog and also in visiting other blogs recently! It wasn't intentional but I did know that this summer and fall would be hectic for me. We have been racing against the rainy weather all summer trying to complete the outside of the house. I was hoping for the exterior to be finished by now but it will be another season before that will happen. One side is nearly completed with two additional sides in mid repair. We are back into rainy weather so it is uncertain how much more will be completed until warm weather next year. My husband has been milling pieces and parts of the exterior that need replacing. Making custom wood trim takes time and we can't exactly go to Lowe's or Home Depot and pick out what we need. The idea is to put the house back as she was built as much as possible. It is a slow process that is frustrating but should be well worth it in the end.
We have also been busy with paperwork attempting to have the house listed on the National Register of Historic Places. We met with the Historic Preservation Review Board at the state level a few weeks ago and they gave us the nod and nominated the house for the National Register. Now we wait to hear from Washington to see if they accept the nomination. In the process, our local paper got wind of the story and wanted to publish an article. I told them that the exterior of the house wasn't quite ready for photos so they published an article without photos. They would like to do another story once the house is on the Register so we will wait and see what the future holds. If it had not rained on Saturday and Sunday, I would have completed photos of the front. We worked on completing the floor of the front porch but were rained out when it came to staining the wood. It rained today and is expected most of the week so who knows when I can finish up.
I have been spending time in the craft room and have lots of things to show you once I sit down long enough to write a few posts. Until then, keep visiting and stay in touch.
Photobucket

3 comments:

Jennifer Scull said...

hope all goes well with the papework! that would be so cool!! :)

Barkley's Mommy said...

WOW! What an amazing and important adventure you are undertaking. I am very eager to see more pictures of the process, and eventually, your finished property.

Hugs and blessings~

~~~Anne

Mary said...

I am looking forward to more of your home photos. Your home is gorgeous.

Mary

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin