Thursday, October 22, 2009

Mystery Paper Revealed

Today I thought it would be a good idea to let you in on the little secret about the shiny paper from the last post. First let me tell you a little story.... I read many paper crafting blogs to gain ideas and to keep my creativity going. Well, a few weeks ago I was reading a Blog called Frugal Ideas From the Parsonage and I was very intrigued by the penny pinching ways this crafter had used shiny tissue paper. So I went out and bought some of the same product and gave it a whirl.

This is what I got on the first try with mylar tissue. It isn't quite perfect yet but with a little playing I should be able to get a good image. once it is glued down it won't have so many wrinkles either. I'm thinking Christmas cards for this application. Anyway, this idea got me to thinking of different products I could try and run through my Cuttle Bug. I went to our three different dollar type stores on the lookout for something interesting.

I found a foil type paper that reminded me of this paper that a birthday Wish RAK fairy at SCS sent to me only she used the expensive stuff. Remember the last post with the shiny paper? Ready to find out what it was?
It was a giant 1 1/2 x 2 1/2 foot gift bag that I purchased from a dollar type store for $1.99. First I cut the sides out of the bag because it was the perfect width to cut in half lengthwise and run through an embossing folder. I'll have another birthday card to show you in the near future that uses some of this very bag to add glitz and glamour to an otherwise plain Jane card. In fact you may see several more posts that use this very bag because I am having soooo much fun with it. The holiday gift tags I am making for a swap.... yes indeed, I used this paper.Everyone who sees the finished pieces say that the shiny hollogram paper is really neat. If they only knew........ I'm not going to tell! Just remember that this type of material is not archival safe so don't use it in your scrapbooks. What do you think?
Photobucket

6 comments:

Nancy Jacobs Basketmaster said...

Paula,
Those are great ideas! I'm sure at least the gift bag would cut well with the Cricut machine too.
Thanks for the inspiration.
Nancy

Karen from PA said...

Very cool, Paula. You've inspired me to go find something shiny to play with.

Scrubbybubbles(sue) said...

WOW..this is awesome! thankyou for sharing this with us. :)

Mary G. said...

Isn't it amazing what you can use on a card?! Thanks for opening my eyes!!!

paperpedaler said...

Forever more! Now this is a fabulous idea. Thanks so much for sharing this idea. I love everything that sparkles, and this sure does get the award for glitz! Looks like the dollar store will be on the list of To Do's for tomorrow.

Plastic Cards said...

Your work one bags is quite impressive. In my point of view you are using so many too and other cutting implementations.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin