Friday, October 23, 2009

Sailing Against the Sea

Hey gang! I popped by to show you a brayered card that I created a few months ago. The brayered background was created at the Michelle Zindorf class that I took back in the spring. It was a practice piece and it was too pretty to throw away so I brought it home. We used Adirondack inks but I can't begin to tell you the names of the colors. Anyway, I stamped this sailboat image by Santa Rosa with black stazon ink and began to color the image. I used two colors of blue reinkers to color the sails and they were just too close in color. It didn't look right so I left it lay on my table for weeks until I had the bright idea to sponge some white on two of the four sails. I also added crystal effects to the hull of the boat and that made things look better so I kept going until I ended up with this. The stamp already had waves engraved into it but the black was just too dark so I used a gel pen over the black to create the water. I also added in a few strokes with the gel pen of my own so that the water had more movement.
I decided that this is the perfect card to send to my uncle who is very ill. He loves to fish and spent time in the Navy when he was young. The quote on the inside is by Oliver Wendel Holmes.
"I find the great thing in this world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving: To reach the port of heaven, we must sail sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it - but we must sail, and not drift, nor lie at anchor."

Materials List:
Rubber Stampede 2861 Compass Rose
Su! Elegant Greetings Stamp Set
CB Divine Swirls Embossing Folder
5 SU! Black Brads
Crystal Effects
White Gel Pen
Versa Mark watermark ink pad
Assorted Inks
CS-Taken With Teal, White, Black
Nestabilities Labels Four
White Embossing Powder
3/8" Sheer black Ribbon

Thanks for Looking!
Photobucket

6 comments:

Gina said...

This is very pretty. I love your brayed background. I hope it brings some cheer to your uncle.

Michelle Forrest said...

Wonderful card!

Susan (peebsmama) said...

Stunning! The background you created behind your ship is beautiful and really sets off the image.

NancyK said...

What a gorgeous card - love your brayering.

Sew-Ink said...

Beautiful card!

Scrubbybubbles(sue) said...

This is beautiful!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin