Wednesday, April 9, 2014

COF April Blog Hop 2014


Hello blog friends! Thanks for joining me in my first blog hop as a new member of the Carriers of Faith blog group! At the end of this post, I will explain how and why I chose this image to go along with the text. We have Mark 9:36-37 as our theme text and I have a few observations to share with you!
This account is actually mentioned in three of the four gospels.

 First let's begin with the Mark 9:36-37 which reads....
36 And he took a child, and set him in the midst of them: and when he had taken him in his arms, he said unto them,
37 Whosoever shall receive one of such children in my name, receiveth me: and whosoever shall receive me, receiveth not me, but him that sent me.
Mark 9:36-37(KJV)

Jesus had been travelling with and teaching the disciples across the countryside when they saw a man casting out the devil . This man was a follower of Jesus but not one of the twelve disciples. Keep in mind that as they had been travelling, they picked up disciples along the way. When this man did not follow along with the other disciples, he was criticized by them.(as a side note, at this point in time, the chosen twelve had been assembled.)
Later on, the disciples began a discussion about who among them was the greatest. Jesus caught wind of the conversation and asked them about it. The disciples weren't proud of their dispute and said nothing so Jesus decided it was time to teach a lesson. Jesus begins by telling them that if they wish to be first, then they must be last. They must be a servant to all! Next he takes one of the children from the house which he is staying and places the child in the middle of the group and tells them if they receive one child in the name of Jesus then they also receive God the father.
Immediately John asks about the follower which they had criticized. Jesus corrects the disciples and tells them they should not have criticized this man because he is the doing the same as they. This man is their brother in Christ and not an enemy. They are all children in the same family!

Now let's go to Matthew 18:1-5(KJV)
At the same time came the disciples unto Jesus, saying, Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?
And Jesus called a little child unto him, and set him in the midst of them,
And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.
Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.
And who so shall receive one such little child in my name receiveth me.

In the book of Matthew we glean even more information. We learn that we must also be like little children and humble ourselves, if we want to be first and not last in heaven. Keep in mind that, in the day of this teaching, children were ranked lower on the totem pole of importance. Adults were more important than children in the culture. Don't misunderstand what I am saying here. Children were still important in God's eyes but they had a lower rank in society. Jesus was giving the disciples an easy way to relate to and have a full understanding of his words.

If you want a short and concise version of this account, just read....
Luke 9:46-48
46 Then there arose a reasoning among them, which of them should be greatest.
47 And Jesus, perceiving the thought of their heart, took a child, and set him by him,
48 And said unto them, Whosoever shall receive this child in my name receiveth me: and whosoever shall receive me receiveth him that sent me: for he that is least among you all, the same shall be great.

Luke's account is much the same as Mark's account in wording and length.

So what's the take away here?
1. All believers in Jesus Christ should be looked upon as siblings in one big family.
2. If you want to be first in God's eyes, humble yourself as a child.
3. Being first in heaven means being a servant on earth. 
4. Following Christ means you also accept God the father.
5. Following Christ requires service.
6. Following Christ requires humility.
I'm sure you can think of a few more things to take away from these verses if you sit a few minutes in contemplation. 

Now let me tell you why I chose this image to go along with the scripture. I wanted to use the image of a child because Christians are all children of God. I think of the members of the Carriers of Faith Blog Group as my sisters and extended family. The little girl image fits in well with the sister theme and she is gazing upon the ocean.  When I stand on a beach and gaze upon the ocean, I can't help but know that I am in the presence of God! It is a powerful place to be!

I am last on the blog hop train so if you just hopped on, continue on by going to Carol's blog. If you have completed the tour, allow me to thank you for joining us today! Come back again next month to join us for The Word Hop. 

Materials List
Stamp- 80156 Girl at Beach by Stamps Happen Inc.

CS- SU! Glossy, SU! Black, SU! YoYo Yellow, SU! Summer Sun,, SU! Taken with Teal, DCWV Burlap Stack

Designer Paper- Webster's Pages Palm Beach Skinny Dipping

Inks- Memento Tuxedo Black,
         Adirondack- Aqua, Lake Mist, Lemonade, Name this Color
         Tim Holtz- Tea Dye
         SU!- Bashful Blue, Pretty in Pink, Certainly Celery, Old Olive, Creamy                             Caramel, Taken with Teal, Soft Suede, Tempting Turquoise, River Rock

SU! Markers- Blush Blossom, Pretty in Pink, Yo Yo Yellow, Brocade Blue, Bashful                           Blue, Brilliant Blue, Garden Green, So Saffron

White Acrylic Paint

Punch- EK Success Beach

3/8 inch yellow grossgrain ribbon

Valspar Clear Gloss sealer


Photobucket

6 comments:

Jeanette (Forest Ranger) said...

Paula, WOW!

First, your card is gorgeous! Lovely image colored to perfection, beautiful card design, great ribbon with perfect placement. LOVELY!

Second, your Bible study was amazing! THANK YOU for sharing your thoughts pertaining to the scripture verses. Very insightful and refreshing!

Third, I am so glad you are one of the Carriers of Faith, my dear friend!

(((HUGS)))

Carol W said...

Oh my goodness Paula, what a card and what a post. I love how you explained the whole story of the verse I chose. It was a wonderful read and very thought provoking something to think about all day and more...The card....WOW, WOW, WOW..I love the way you colored your image and at first glance the whole card just pulls me right in....just like I was standing there..AMAZING job with this challenge...I am blessed to be in this group with your...

Barb said...

Your card is stunning Paola--I love the image and the colors are wonderful.

I am glad you are a Carrier of Faith member!

MiamiKel said...

Oh Paula, you are such a breath of fresh are in the COF! What a post to read over and over :) This is a beautiful card (all your cards are!) and just a vision ~ what sweet and wonderful words to read that come straight from the heart ♥

Blessings!

Shelly Schmidt said...

Fabulous card- the scene is so beautiful- just as though I am seeing it IRL!!! Your colors are stunning! I love your write up- I read that on the internet before I posted- I love thinking about kids as simple, innocent and pure love!

April said...

Not only is your card wonderful, but so was your Bible study!!
Your image is so very serene!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin