Saturday, August 9, 2014

Love

Today is the August Carriers of  Faith (COF) blog post challenge and April is our hostess. Here is the challenge she put before us, in her own words.

August Challenge:
" Since we post the day after my wedding anniversary, I would like everyone to make a project based on one of the scriptures read at my wedding: 
Scripture: 1 Corinthians 13: 4-7 Love is patient; love is kind; love is not envious or boastful or arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice in wrongdoing, but rejoices in the truth. It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.your card doesn't need to be based on a spousal love, and as such, I would love to hear a story of one of your loves!"

I could have chosen many people to write about today but when I saw that April was using scripture from I Corinthians, I just had to make another card using this stamp from Our Daily Bread Designs and write about my spouse. Our thirtieth wedding anniversay is coming up the end of this month and it's only fitting that I share about that particular love relationship.

We met on a Sunday morning in the fall of 1982 at a devotional/praise/prayer group. One of the single guys (Rusty) from my church lived in a house behind the church. He opened his house up early on Sunday mornings for the singles group and 30 or 40 people would attend before the actual church service. Our church was always crowded and short on parking spaces so we would walk from Rusty's house to the church. Now we had quite a few guys from the Air Force who were part of this group. Many of them were working on graduate degrees at the Air Force Institute of Technology. This particular Sunday was my first time attending the praise group.  My future spouse (Adam) stared at me from across the room and quickly found me during our walk from the house to the church. We chatted as we walked and eventually started dating. Fast forward to the evening of August 24, 1984 and we were walking down the aisle and getting hitched!


A lot has happened over the years both good and bad. It's the bad times that test our love and resilience. We have both endured many months of being apart because of Adam's military service. Throughout the years he had many jobs that were the "I could tell ya but I'd have to kill you kind of jobs."  Sometimes he would call me while he was on a trip from an undisclosed location. Most people find this bizarre but travel and secrecy is normal military life for many families. After our daughter was born, Adam was travelling so much for work that he missed half of the first nine months of her life! Having my spouse gone for days and months at a time tested me over and over again. These were the times when things like a vehicle would break down or the house heating would quit working during bitter cold temperatures. I had to fend for myself and I disliked it!

There have been many other bad times and tests along the way. I have found that these times have strengthened me and have made me grow closer to God. It's how God molds us into the people we need to be. I always hate the process but often times appreciate the result! Love is easy when things are good. It takes enduring the bad times to grow and strengthen a love relationship! The next time you have to deal with the bad, find the good in it and realize that you are going through a love growth spurt!

The card I created will be Adam's anniversary card later on this month. It also fits the criteria for one of the Dare To Get Dirty Challenges at Splitcoaststampers. Lydia posted this one and if you want to know more about it, you just have to go find out for yourself. We can't spill the beans about DTGD14UnderstandBlueB.

I began with April's and Lydia's challenge. First I pulled out this stamp and then went searching in my craft room for other interesting things to use. I pulled out my big box of die cuts and found these black invitation pockets that I picked up on clearance at Michael's. I cut it down and added glitter to the swirl. Then I added a strip of Lace/ribbon across the front and adorned it with a rose from some black rose trim. I cut white card stock to back the pocket and make it sturdier. (I glittered this about five hours before I took the photo and the glue is still wet. It will dry clear with a more transparent look. It's just been a rainy day and it's taking forevah to dry!)

The card is made from several layers of card stock. I used several different corner punches to add a bit of decoration. I used the Sizzix Oval Scallop Frame to frame out the scripture and added two different sizes of pearls around the edge. I also added pearls in each corner to finish things off.

Now scroll down and find my other COF buddies on the right side bar. I'm sure they will have some interesting stories to tell and some beautiful project too!




Photobucket

5 comments:

Jeanette (Forest Ranger) said...

Paula, your card is stunning..... and the verse (ODB stamp). WOW!

Loved reading about the love of your life and also how you have grown in your relationship with God.

Hugs!!!

Barb said...

Paula--your card is awesome! I love the verse and the layout of your card. Great Story too!

MiamiKel said...

Such a striking card Paula! Love the shimmery glitter paper. It adds great dimension and character to this stunning card! Wonderful story

MiamiKel said...

Sorry! iPhone is finicky. Wonderful story on how you met the man!

Blessings!

Zella said...

WOW - 30 years!!! What a wonderful accomplishment!! Happy early Anniversary!!! Lovely card - so sparkly :) And love how you shared from your heart about your hubby and how the hard times are blessings too.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin