Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Friends Quilt


I'm showing you a little snippet of my project today for the Carriers of Faith September Challenge. Jeanette aka Forest Ranger is our hostess and she chose friendship as the theme. Here are the details...

Hostess: Jeanette

September Challenge – Friendship

Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work;
If one falls down, his friend can help him up.
But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up!
Also, if tow lie down together, they will keep warm,
But how can one keep warm alone?
Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves.
A cord of three strands is not quickly broken. (Ecclesiastes 4:9-12)

One of my favorite passages in the Bible is Ecclesiastes 4:9-12. It reminds me that God did not create us for isolation. He wants us to connect with other believers.

There really are many applications found in these four verses, but for the purpose of this month’s challenge, I would like us to focus on Christian friendship and create a card (or scrapbook page, etc) that focuses on friendship. As an extra challenge, in your blog post please tell us about a special Christian friend who means a lot to you, and then, if possible, mail your card to that friend.

 Here is the front of the card I made for the challenge. This card measures 5.5 x 5.5 inches and I used the new stamps and die from Our Daily Bread Designs because it's perfect for the friendship challenge. I started by stamping from the Quilts Stamp Set and coloring to match this 6x6 inch paper from my stash. I cut down the paper so I could mount it on this piece of Sahara Sand card base and then I took the scraps and cut those down to create two fo the four borders. I decided to cut away between the floral boquet and tuck in the quilt which I mounted on a corresponding piece of tiny floral paper. I then cut two doilies with the new Doily Dies out of heavy mint green vellum. I took one and 1/4 of them and tucked them behind the quilt. I added pearl bling and went to work on my sentiment. I stamped out this sentiment from the Doily Blessings Stamp Set and cut it out using the Pennants Dies. I added a ribbon and lace bow to match and added pearl bling to the center.

On the inside I added more matching designer paper and another vellum doily with a sentiment from the Quilts Stamp Set. To top it off, I colored the buttons from the same stamp set and fussy cut them out. I am quite pleased with this card. It reminds me of my grandmother's quilts and wallpaper!

I have had a difficult time deciding who I would mail a card to because there are several people who have really been there for me. I was very ill eight years ago and one special friend stands out who was there through thick and thin. We met as old students who had returned to college during our thirties. Both of us would head to our cars during our lunch break to eat and study. We tended to park near one another in the parking lot. As luck would have it, we usually packed a lunch and left it in a cooler in our cars. One day she spoke to me as she passed me in the parking lot. We actually shared a class together and I didn't even realize it. From that day forward we have been friends. 

This particular friend has had a rough way to go over the last few years with her mother being ill and I think she would enjoy receiving this. Earlier I mentioned luck and that isn't exactly true. I don't really believe in luck or coincidence. I think God has his hand in everything and I know that this particular friend feels the same way!

I want to thank Jeanette for her challenge and mention that you might want to go check out the other projects from the Carriers of  Faith gals.  Just go to the side of my blog to find the rest of the group! Thanks for stopping by to visit!

Photobucket

2 comments:

Jeanette (Forest Ranger) said...

Paula, your card is GORGEOUS! So dainty and elegant, too. I'm sure your friend will love receiving this masterpiece!

I'm so glad you are in the Carriers of Faith! You have become a real inspiration in my life!

Shelly Schmidt said...

Loving this gorgeous card- your colors are so pretty- and loving the corner embellishments. A beautiful sentiment as well...then you open the card- surprise- more beauty! It has been such a delight meeting you in the COF group and I just love visiting your blog : )

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin