Friday, October 17, 2014

Christmas Card Time



 I have started making a few Christmas cards and want to share them with you! In my Christmas 2014 Journey, I found a few places for inspiration and challenges. This Wisemen in white card is for the Merry Monday Christmas Challenge #130 Silent Night and the  October - Christmas Card Challenge 2014 at SCS..
I think it fits the challenge quite nicely, if I do say so myself! I was thinking of hanging Christmas ornaments in a window as you woudl a suncatcher when I designed this card. The Decorative Corners die cuts created my window valance and the lace along the bottom is the cafe curtain I hope you get the idea. It was a loose interpretation since things are not to scale. I keep playing with the new October release from ODBD and every time I think I am finished playing, a new idea pops into my head! I am loving the versatility of the Peaceful Poinsettia Dies. I used the stamens part of the die to make the small white flowers and again in the center of the silver poinsettia. There are so many ways to stack this die to get different looks and sizes of poinsettias. I also think when the die cut is left flat, it looks like a snowflake so this die does double duty! I was looking for something a bit different for the Wisemen stamp and decided to stamp it with white embossing powder on white card stock. I thought I might sponge ink onto it but then decided to use my Spectrum Noir alcohol markers instead. I like the results!
This is how I decorated the inside.
This next card was made for the SCS challenge and the Winter Wonderland Challenge Blog. The theme this week is Tropical Christmas. While I don't really have any tropical related Christmas stamps, I took my que from the bright color combo that I used. I don't believe I have ever made a Christmas card this bright! I started by rumaging through my papers and pulled out this snowflake embossing folder by Paper Studios. It's new and I wanted to use it! I added glitter glue to a few of the snowflakes for a bit of sparkle. Next, I went to my new Christmas stamps and pulled out the clock face from God's Timing. It's a neat stamp set because it can be used year round and I know I will get a lot of mileage out of this set! From there I just started pulling out die cuts to see what I could layer together and this was the result. The pendulum, clock hands, round layer under the clock face and doily layer were all cut in shiny silver card stock. It really pops against the turquoise and white! The pendulum was made by cutting the flag pole from the Pennants die set and then adding a piece from the Circle Ornaments die set.
This photo picks up all of the shine.
Materials list for Wisemen
Stamps- ODBD Wisemen, ODBD Christmas Verses
Papers- Silver Foil Card Stock, Ballet Blue CS, GP White CS, designer paper from a now defunct company.
Dies- All Dies are by Our Daily Bread Designs- Matting Circles, Circle Ornament, Peaceful Poinsettia, Ornate Borders and Flowers, Decorative Corners, Fancy Foilage, Vintage Flourish Pattern.
Spectrum Noir Markers- Blender pen, Tb2,3,4, and LY2
Misc- White detail embossing powder, lace, glitter glue, bling

Christmas Pendulum Clock
Stamps- ODBD God's Timing, ODBD Ornate Borders and Flowers
Dies- all are from ODBD- Doily, Ornate Borders & Flowers, Circle Ornaments, Matting Circles, Pennants.
Papers- Taken with Teal CS, GP white CS, Polar Expressions/Comfy Cozy by imaginisce
Misc.- Snowflake ribbon, snowflake brad, glitter glue.
Photobucket

7 comments:

Bonnie said...

Both of these cards are so pretty, Paula! I love the way you did the Wise Men embossed in white with the blue in the background! I'm going to have to try that with my Wise Men. So many pretty die cuts! Thanks for sharing these with us at Merry Monday!

Kathy Schweinfurth said...

Paula, your card is just gorgeous! Love all the special embellishments and the monochrome! Thanks so much for joining us at Merry Monday!

LeAnne said...

Very pretty cards, love them both as I am partial to blue! Your wise men are beautiful...what a pretty ornament and the embellishments are wonderful! Thanks for participating in my Merry Monday challenge this week!

Joyce said...

Such elegant and beautiful cards.

Grace said...

These are both so pretty Paula! I love how you used the corner dies with the wisemen ornament... the details are just beautiful!!!

Love the second one too!So elegant and rich!!! Just love them both!

Debs said...

Two beautiful elegant cards - love the die cut on the second one and fabulous embossing.
Thanks for playing along at Winter Wonderland this week.
Good luck.
Debs xx

CherylQuilts said...

Oh, Paula, these are both so beautiful! I love how you've colored the Wise men Ornament with such a soft blue...almost giving it a wispy feel. And then how you've used it as an ornament in a window is fabulous! Just love your "curtains and valance!" And your pendulum clock! Wow! That's amazing, and I love how you've shown the side photo to see how beautifully it shines! Love how you've used all the dies to achieve this amazing old-fashioned clock! Love them both! Hugs, sweet friend!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin