Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Merry Monday Christmas Challenge #131

I'm back again with another Christmas challenge from Merry Monday. Challenge #131 Non-traditional Colors. I took it a step further and and went with a non-traditional shape as well.
I love the traditional deep tones of burgundy red, hunter green and gold. This purple and non traditional patterned Christmas paper took a bit of getting use to so I went over the top and colored my poinsettia in purple 

tones as well. In the end, I merged tradition with non-tradition and it all worked together! The red in this paper has a lot of pink tones so the only traditional color here is the dark green and the images are very traditional. I know this is the first time that I have ever made a poinsettia purple but it worked out fine. This was my first attempt at making a diamond fold card and it was a nice change of pace. I think there will be more of these in my future!





















When folded, this little card is a compact four inches!!! Is that cool or what? I also wanted to share with you this cool new (for me) paper tole technique that I used to create the poinsettia.  It is actually four layers thick and I stretched the paper to shape it after I colored it with my alcohol markers. I mostly used the flicking technique to get this effect.. Lydia at Splitcoaststampers challenged us to use this technique in the Hope You Can Cling to Challenge 2014. She kicked off the festivities on October first with  HYCCT1401A  You raise me up
Come and join us for a new challenge every day during the month of October and support breast cancer with your creative talents!
By the way, this is a new Our Daily Bread Designs stamp from the October release.
Thanks for stopping by and leaving those sweet comments!
Materials List
Stamps- ODBD Poinsettia ornament, ODBD Christmas Verses
Paper- Kaisercraft 6" Dear Santa Collection, Smooth white, Eastern metallic Linen Mallard Green
Ink- Memento tux black, memento london fog, Distress Tea Dye
Alcohol markers-Spectrum Noir BT1, LY2, LV2, LG2, LG5, GB4,DR1.
                            Copics- C5, V1, V12, V15
SU! marker- Green Galore, Garden Green
Dies- ODBD Doily, DBD Matting Circles, ODBD Circle Ornaments
Misc- Glitte Glue, Ribbon, Bling, Hot Glue to assemble poinsettia
Photobucket

7 comments:

Linda Carson said...

Wow Paula!! That's one gorgeous card! Absolutely love the shape and your purple poinsettia looks awesome! A beautiful festive card!

Windy Ellard said...

Gorgeous card....I love everything about it but the purple poinsettia is stunning esp. since my favorite color is purple! Thank you for sharing!

Vicky F. AKA Crafting Vicky said...

wow that's really gorgeous!!! Love the shape for this! just had to come over from the Merry Christmas challenge to mention this!

JoAnn said...

Beautiful card and great design.

Brian King said...

What a beautifully intricate creation! This image works wonderfully with these colors and card layout. Thanks for playing along with this week's Merry Monday challenge.

Karren said...

This is beautiful! I love both the non-traditional colors and the different card fold! Thanks so much for joining us at Merry Monday.

CherylQuilts said...

Good morning, Paula! I was just looking back at some of your posts and saw this gorgeous card! The design is amazing and such an intricate work of art, and your coloring is beautiful! I remember well one of the first cards you made...your coloring truly "wowed" me!! You are so gifted, my friend! Hugs!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin