Wednesday, October 1, 2014

October Release for Our Daily Bread Designs


 Hello everyone, welcome to the Our Daily Bread Designs October release. I'm telling a little secret today about the foil "card stock" I use and you just might be surprised! Before I explain my projects, let me tell you about the prizes so that everyone can play along.

Prize Information: 
Three winners will be randomly chosen from the comments left on the designers blogs to receive a $15 Gift Certificate to the ODBD Store, to be used toward the purchase of ODBD Stamps found in the "stamps column" of the website.  You have until October 2, 2014 at 9:00 p.m. EDT to leave your comments on The Our Daily Bread Blog or the Participating Designers Blogs for a chance to win!  The Winners will be posted on the ODBD Blog on October 3rd, so be sure to check back there to see if you won!


This first project is a Christmas card which measures 4 5/8 x 6 1/4 inches in size and fits nicely into the everyday common envelopes that I buy at my local discount store. I stamped the clock face with silver ink onto black card stock and then went to work on a design. I knew that I wanted to use this Midnight Clear background stamp with the clock face and that I should stamp it in silver ink on blue card stock. As I sat and thought about this card, I wondered if the new circle ornament stamps would make a nice border to the clock. I have both the Poinsettia and the Wisemen stamps which looked great as a border. I went with the smaller poinsettia circle and stamped silver ink onto Brocade Blue card stock. I then trimmed down the background and added a white border. I decided on the card base in brocade blue card stock and then I was stuck because I knew it needed more. I had the idea to make a pendulum and it was too big so I sat it aside for a few days. when I came back and picked up the project, I was struck with the idea of using the Vintage Flourish Pattern die with shiny silver card stock. But wait, I'm cheap and covet that silver card stock so I pulled out the cheap stuff. 
Secret Alert
Okay, it's not cheap, it's free because I save the foil cardboard lids from our take out Mexican dinners. The lids usually only have condensation on them so I quickly wipe them down and dry them. They are so handy for die cuts!  

I was on a roll again and cut some silver holly leaves and berries with the ODBD Circle Ornaments dies and clock hands with the ODBD Matting Circle dies. Then I added the sentiment and edged the die cut with a silver pen.  A little glue and dimensional foam was added to tie everything together into this finished card!
Keep reading and I will give you the info and links for the Our Daily Bread products that I used laater in this post.

I knew that I would make ornaments with the new ornament stamps but I had no idea that this project would take on a life of its own! I have gone nuts making all different colors of two sided ornaments! I have used  several different techniques and love the way they have turned out. I use pink and rose colored ornaments on my Christmas tree in the parlor so I made a few for that room.


The first thing I do is color and die cut the main image. On these, I have used  alcohol markers and then added glitter glue for some shimmer. I attach this piece to a die cut doily and add a larger rose colored circle to the back of the doily. The ornament on the left is a die cut silver doily and on the right is a white pearlized doily. I glue on the bottom of the ornament and then add the head pin with beads. Once the glue dries, I add another large circle, ornament bottom, doily and image. I top it off by adding the ornament hanger to both sides and call it finished. This turns out to be a sturdy ornament by adding all of the layers. I'll show you some more ornaments I made like this in my next post. it's addicting!!! For now, I'll leave you with a materials list for these two projects!

Click on the photos below to see the new release items that I have used.
CSBD72 - MATTING CIRCLES DIESG598 - POINSETTIA ORNAMENTG599 - GOD'S TIMINGG601 - MIDNIGHT CLEAR


Here are additional items that I have used.

CSBD45 - CIRCLE ORNAMENT DIESCSBD55 - VINTAGE LABEL DIESCSBD56 - VINTAGE FLOURISH PATTERN DIES

Materials List for Midnight Clear Card
Stamps- ODBD Midnight Clear background, ODBD Poinsettia Ornament, ODBD God's Timing
Dies- ODBD Matting Circles, ODBD Circle Ornament, ODBD Vintage Flourish Pattern, ODBD Vintage Labels
Card Stock- White, Night of Navy, Brocade Blue, Black, Silver
Inks- Encore Silver
Misc.- Silver paint pen

Materials List for Pink Poinsettia Ornaments
Stamps- ODBD Poinsettia Ornament
Dies- ODBD Doily, ODBD Matting Circles, ODBD Circle Ornaments
Card Stock- Rose, Smooth white, Silver, Pearl White
Ink- Memento London Fog
Spectrum Noir Markers- Blender, LY1, GB4, LG4, LG5
       The ornament on the left uses PP1, PP3, on the flower. The ornament on the right uses PP3 and PP4 on the flower.
The blender pen was used to create the highlights on the flowers.
Misc.- Glass Beads, Head Pins, Yellow glitter glue and clear glitter glue.

Now head on over to see what my other sister breadsticks have created.
 Grace * Chris * Dawn * Lori * Julie * Sandee * Cathy * Paula (that's me) * Lisa * Silke * Wanda Sabrina * Audrey * Angie

Cruise by the ODBD Blog if you haven't already been there to leave a comment too!

I'll also be entering this in the following Christmas Challenge:
Winter Wonderland Challenge Blog- Layer it Up!

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you!
Photobucket

26 comments:

Angella D. Crockett said...

Wow, Paula!! Your card and ornaments are absolutely stunning!!! Boy, would I love to see that card in person.....it is so difficult to photograph anything shiny, but I know it's going to knock some socks off!!! (Hopefully you will be sending this one to Kelley and then I can drool over it in the show booth!!) HUGS!!

Dawn said...

Stunning...just stunning, your silver/blue God's Timing! I love it!
Beautiful ornaments too!!
Wonderful samples!

Sandee Shanabrough said...

Oh my! Talk about gorgeous!!! Your first card just sparkles Christmas! And your ornaments are so beautiful!

nancyparker55 said...

So pretty! Love the ornaments!

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

Wowzer Paula!! I absolutely love both projects but the first with the glossy and shiny mirrored paper and your rich colors as well as the use of dies is exquisite.
hugs,
Chris

Jan Castle said...

Beautifully done...love you colors for both the cards!
Jan

Sue D said...

Gorgeous card and ornaments!!

Lisa Somerville said...

Beautiful samples Paula! Love the use of the Mirrored card stock, the layering of the Poinsettia dies is pretty, they'll make a wonderful addition to your Christmas tree!

Sherry said...

WOW!!!!!!!!! so gorgeous!!!! love them both!!!!!!!!!!

Cathymac said...

WOW! Beautiful ornaments, Paula! And I love the silver and blue card…so elegant looking! I can just imagine the shine IRL! Thanks for sharing your trade secret for the foil! Hugs!

Silke Ledlow said...

Paula, the Silver background is perfect on your creations! Just BEAUTIFUL!!!

lisa808 said...

Wow!!! Beautiful creations.

Amy Marshall said...

I loved your cards and ornaments. It was interesting reading about recycling the foil from the take out to help make that beautiful card.

Cards By Jan said...

Hi Paula, What BEAUTIFUL card!!! I love the elegance and the colours are so rich and deep. And beautiful ornaments for the second set your did....LOVE them all!!

Grace said...

Absolutely gorgeous Paula!!! I adore the top one... the mirrored paper packs a real punch and its so elegant!!! Your ornaments are beautiful too!!! You totally ROCKED this release my friend!!!
hugs,
Grace

Saints Rule! said...

Howdy neighbor! I just love both of your projects this month... from the mirror effect to the tiny bead accents... So much fun and even more elegant! Beautifully done!

Kelley said...

Paula, hey Paula..
LOVE the mirrored card! It's absolutely wonderful! And I love the sparkle on your poinsettia ornaments too!

Shelly Schmidt said...

Wow- what a fab idea to use the mirrored CS from take out! LOVE the beautiful time themed card- the regal colors are fab! And, I LOVE the 2 sided ornament- the poinsettia is gorgeous and the sparkle is beautiful!

SarahGeorge said...

Wow!! Awesome!!! :)

Conniecrafter said...

Wow, I just love the silver embossing with the midnight blue, Lovely, your ornaments are just stunning, very elegant!

Patsy Behrendt said...

Thank you for sharing your secret about the silver lids!! My family laughs at me for having them save so many things that I put to use. I love the card and I think the ornaments are spectacular!! These would make such wonderful little gifts! Merry Christmas!

E. Marie said...

You card is so pretty with the use of the background die and the music background on the center die. The ornaments are stunning with this lovely colored poinsettia on top of the doily die.

Hannah Means said...

Pretty cards! I love the dimension that you get on your cards.

Julie- justwritedesigns said...

Gorgeous, Paula! Love the navy/silver combo and wonderful use of all the dies on your first. And your ornaments are just beautiful.

Julie- justwritedesigns said...

Gorgeous, Paula! Love the navy/silver combo and wonderful use of all the dies on your first. And your ornaments are just beautiful.

GAZ said...

The ornaments you created are so beautiful and I know they look terrific on your tree. Love your card and the colors you used too. Thanks for sharing! Glenda J

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin