Tuesday, May 19, 2015

ODBD SLC239 Bee Balm Thank You

Let's get the prize info and details taken care of first.  To see all the projects created for ODBDSLC239 or to join the challenge click here . You have until May 24, 2015 at 8:00pm EDT to join us. By participating in the challenge, you have a chance to win a  $15 ODBD Gift Certificate good towards the purchase of stamps in the “stamps column” on the ODBD website, or to be spotlighted on the ODBD Blog at our next challenge. The random prize winner will be posted on our next challenge post. Please do not post on Flicker as many of us do not have the ability to comment on your cards nor can we spotlight your cards on the blog.”

I just love all of the little pics that we have to choose from for our inspiration!! The bottom right pic is a bee on a thistle blossom and that reminded me of the Bee Balm Flower stamp that I have. Hang on for a minute while I put on my Horticulture cap.....okay, I'm back. I'm a realist and I tend to color flowers in the color pallet we have in real life. Monarda didyma, latin for bee balm comes in an array of reds, pinks, lavender and white, with the most common being red. Well just set the gears in motion to use these sweet little ladybugs and bee stamps. The red ladybugs and red Monarda (in my mind) were destined to be together on this card! 
I began by coloring my stamp with water based markers and used the Huffing Technique to stamp the image.  Not familiar with that technique? Just google it to find an instruction video. I did a little coloring on the image and then added in a few fine shadow and vein lines. As you can see, I did not totally color in the blossoms. That gave me added dimension. I just used a variety of green and red markers so that it has a bit of shading. The bugs were embossed with black embossing powder and lightly colored with alcohol markers. Under the sentiment, I made loops with ribbon and then glued it down from the side instead of the top.  It's all pretty simple and made a sweet card!

Now it's time to make your way to see what the other gals have made for you today!

Materials List
ODBD Stamps Used:  Butterfly and Bugs, Bee Balm Flower, Ornate Border Sentiments
ODBD Dies Used: Butterfly and BugsVintage Flourish PatternVintage Labels 
Inks Used: Su! Certainly Celery, Real Red and Memento Tux Black
Water Based Markers used: Su! Certainly Celery, Garden Green, Gable Green, Green Galore, Real Red, Cherry Cobbler and Rose Red.
Card Stock Used: Su! Garden Green, Certainly Celery, Gable Green, Smooth White
Miscellaneous: 3/8" Organdy Ribbon, Half Back Pearls, Black Embossing Powder, Dimensional Foam Tape.

Photobucket

6 comments:

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

What a gorgeous take on the inspiration piece, Paula!! I just love your die cut background and the bright spring green!! Your bee balm with the insects is gorgeous as well!! Beautiful design and card my friend!
hugs,
Chris

CherylQuilts said...

What a gorgeous card, Paula, and such vibrant colors with all the garden insects just loving that bee balm!! Beautifully done, sweet friend! Hugs!

Robin Clendenning said...

Love the vibrant green in your card today along with the red is so fun! The bee balm is lovely and seeing all the little bugs is so much fun as well! Pretty card!

Diana Nguyen said...

So bright and vivid! Just like a beautiful garden in full bloom. Love your card!

Intoxicating Arts said...

I saw your card on Splitcoast Stampers and just had to tell you that it's gorgeous !

Alshandra said...

Beautiful card Paula. Love the vibrant greens and the bee and bugs.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin